Hey my name is Tahmeena, I have 2 girls called Ruqayah (5) and Fatimah (2). I share our journey on Instagram, our page is called rainbow_play2
When and why did you decide to Home Educate?
- My eldest Ruqayah started reception full time this year. She went for 3 weeks before we took her out, we felt she was too young to be spending so much time away from home.
What kind of approach do you take?
- Because the girls are young at the moment our focus is play...but Ruqayah does ask to do work books so we do maximum 15 mins a day working through a workbook or just free writing.
Where do the children do most of their work? and do they distract each other?
- Most activities take place in my kitchen because its the easiest place to clean hehe. Yes there distraction with a toddler around so we tend to do work books whilst Fatimah has a nap
What is your favourite thing about Home Education?
- Having the freedom and also exploring Ruqayahs interests further. As we have experienced school life I would say not having to rush around in the mornings is a bonus too.
What subjects do you teach and do you stick to a timetable?
- At the moment we dont have a timetable. The only thing that we try to do daily is go for a walk because I feel this benefits us all.
What do you find most difficult and why?
- At the moment I find balancing everything e.g. housechores difficult but because we are only new to this journey I'm not so hard on myself.
How do you incorporate Physical Education into your Home Ed days?
- After breakfast Ruqayah enjoys doing Yoga. Ruqayah is very active and enjoys this. I put her favourite Yoga video on youtube and she follows it through. We also try to fit in daily walks.
Do you plan and how far in advance?
- I dont plan far in advance. I usually screenshot inspiration from Pinterest and Instagram
Do you spend a lot of money on resources?
- At the moment no. Poundshops are very good in providing basic craft items and also work books.
How do you make time for yourself?
- When the girls are asleep I usually make time to do something I enjoy, currently it is cross stitching.
What advice would you give to someone just starting their Home Ed journey?
- Depending on age but the most important thing for us is to enjoy the time together.