Tuesday, 8 August 2017

Testing for Starch by DS11

Prediction

I think that the bread will contain the most starch.


Apparatus

test tubes
Iodine
knife
food - bread, potato, carrot, pepper & cheese
plate

Method

I began by choosing different foods I thought would contain starch and chopped them into small cubes so they could easily be placed into test tubes.

After placing the food into the tubes I then used the dropper bottle of iodine, which needs to be diluted first, to add a few drops to each tube.

I then recorded the colours each food turned.


Diagram (photos)


 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Results

Bread - Black

Potato - Black

Carrot - Dark Blue

Pepper - Red/Orange

Cheese - Orange


Conclusion

The bread and potato contained the most starch so my hypothesis was correct.

http://www.primaryscience.ie/media/pdfs/col/exploring_starch.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment

Home Education Guide

Asalaamualaykum wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakathu I decided to Home Educate back in 2003 when I had my first child, and now teach all my ...